What we found at the table was Pure Spoon, an organic "from seed to spoon" baby food, made locally in Austin, TX. Thing 1 mostly eyed the selection dubiously (because he's 4, and there was nothing chicken nugget shaped...), but Thing 2 tried EVERY SINGLE FLAVOR. I'm not joking. She even tried to climb out of the cart to get to the table for more. The proprietor of Pure Spoon, Alyson Eberle, gave us a couple of containers to take home and try out.
Aside from the fact that Thing 2 really seemed to enjoy the taste, I was really impressed with what I found in researching the company a bit more. Here are some highlights:
- Over a pound of Certified Organic fresh fruit and veggies in each container
- 100% pure and free from preservatives, additives, color, etc.
- Ingredients are steamed, rather than boiled, to lock in nutrition and flavor
- Food is pasteurized with High-Pressure Pasteurization to avoid chemicals or nutrient depleting high heat
- Recipes are created with the help of a licensed pediatric dietician
- Buy an ounce, give an ounce - For every ounce of Pure Spoon purchased, the company donates an ounce of organic food to feed American children
Now those are some values and practices I can get behind. If you live in Texas, Oklahoma, or Louisiana, check out your Whole Foods now for some of this yumminess. It's marketed as a baby food puree, but it totally gets 4 thumbs up (an an exuberant toddler clap) from me and Thing 2!